Sunday 23 September 2012

A brief introduction to my blog's background image

I don't usually write about my Blog's background picture, because there's nothing really special about them. My last one was a picture of the kind of place I would like to live in, and before that was a picture of my dog, and before that? No I can't remember.

So, I changed my blog's background to a picture of a famous castle in France, the Château de Chambord (Chambord Castle). I was considering about Neuschwanstein Castle at first, this castle is so breathtaking that I think it's the most beautiful castle in the world, but then I picked Chambord Castle, because of da Vinci and King François I.

They say part of Chambord Castle was designed by Leonardo da Vinci, which would be the chimneys that look like little towers. According to the book I read (borrowed from our school library), the castle consist of 440 rooms and 365 chimneys (or more)!

Also, one of the most famous architectural features of Chambord Castle, the beautiful double helix staircase is said to be designed by Leonardo da Vinci too!
So this is what the book says:
During Leonardo da Vinci's last few years, King François I invited him to live in France. When Leonardo da Vinci accepted his invitation, the king was delighted, as he adores him very much and thinks highly of him.
The double helix staircase was a gift to thank King François I , but it was only built after Leonardo da Vinci's death, so it wasn't  built completely according to Leonardo da Vinci's design. Supposedly, the two staircase should supported each other, just like the double helix form of our DNA, but back then no one knew how to build it, so the two staircase ended up how it looks like now. In fact, most of da Vinci's design for the King was left untouched because, again, they are too complicated and no one knew how to build them.
The staircase allows people to climb without being seen by those who go down, so that King François I's mistress won't have to curtsey to the Queen. How funny.

King François I even thought to divert the Loire to the castle, but the project proved too expensive and challenging and was abandoned. Same thing goes to 'The Last Supper', it did not matter to The King that this is a wall painting, he wanted to bring the whole wall to France. Thankfully he also abandoned the idea at last.

As for the reason I chose a picture of castle, hmm let's say that  I've had a lifelong fascination with castles.=)

gyr

No comments:

Post a Comment